Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 9: that stuff you never thought you'd use...

Yes, I am talking about math. Today my project was drafting out the plans for both a skirt and a baby quilt. Sewing is a lot like carpentry... measure twice, cut once. If you take the time to plan everything out on paper it makes for smoother sailing later on. So I knew that I wanted to make the baby quilt 36 inches by 48 inches, and I knew that my finished squares would be 4 inches on each side. So using that math drummed into my head by the public school system I figured out that I would need 108 squares. But... this is a rag quilt, which means that each square is comprised of 3 layers. So that means 8 yards of fabric cut into 324 individual squares. More than 4 hours later and this...


becomes this...


Not bad for a day's work if I say so myself. (The black and red fabrics on the right are going to be my skirt. I am quite excited to make it, I don't sew for myself very often.) And an added bonus, my kids love when I am cutting out projects. They love to play with the scraps. It never ceases to amaze me that even with a play room full of toys, they will spend hours playing with little pieces of fabric.



No comments: