Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Princess Dress for Evie...

I will admit freely that when my friend and I decided to take our daughter to the Princess Festival, I knew that I would be making Evie a new dress. "Doesn't she already own a half a dozen princess dress-ups?"  Yes  "Well, you probably already had all the fabric and stuff."  Probably, not that it stopped me from shopping a sale at JoAnn's to get fabric for it...  "So at least it was cheaper than buying a ready-made dress."  Yes. But not by much.  Some of my other excuses were, that I didn't want to be looking for my Cinderella or Snow White in a crowd of Cinderella's and Snow White's... it can double as her Halloween costume this year and that puts me way ahead of the game come October... oh who am I kidding. I wanted to do it, it's what I do. And I stand by the fact that if you compared quality to cost it was much cheaper than buying one....

The goodies!  Teal and pink satin (costume satin on sale for 2.99/yd. I haven't completely gone off my rocker...)  The silver and blue netting was from their prom collection fabrics and marked down 60%, plus I got a remnant of 2/3 yd for another 75% off! Score!  Pink netting and jewels that I didn't end up using... this time around.


Part of my creative process, as this time around I used no pattern whatsoever!  I have to admit to being just so slightly pleased with myself for just sitting down with no idea of where I was heading and having it come out so right!  The upper sleeves did have to be cut out twice due to a drafting error on my part, but still...

TA DA!


I finished it the night before and was so excited to see how it would look on my little princess!





Practicing her curtsy, so sweet!

We decided that she was Cinderella from The Slipper and The Rose version, which just happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time!

P.S. to Me:  Chrissy- next time you do something like this PLEASE try to remember no matter how good it looks in the end costume satin is a PAIN in the REAR to work with!!!


1 comment:

Emilie said...

I love it! It's even more amazing because it came from no pattern.