Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My knitting bag

I am so excited to have this project finished! Several months ago I saw a knitting basket that I fell in love with. It was a woven sea grass basket with a fabric lining that was taller than the basket with a drawstring closure. So when you weren't working you could keep everything secure with the basket closed, and when you were working you could fold the lining over the basket to have it completely open. It had a price tag that was way outside my budget though, over $100. I could have bought it and then not had any yarn to knit for then next year maybe...

I thought that I would be able to reproduce something similar for a fraction of the cost. My first attempt was to line a basket that I got for a few dollars at JoAnn's. It really didn't turn out though. I cut the lining too small so it fit the inside of the basket, but wouldn't fold over the edge. And I couldn't figure out how to attach the lining to the basket in a secure fashion, because sewing it by machine didn't work and by hand was too hard.

Then my cousin and I got $20 gift certificates to a local quilt shop and we went shopping when they were having a great sale. 30% off your entire order. Yea for sales! I spent just under $4 for my fabric, high quality quilting cotton. I spent a very pleasurable hour and a half wandering the store and picking out just the right color combination.


My finished bag with the drawstring closed! I added a pocket to the front with a magnetic closure and made coordinating piping to add detail between the side and the lining.


I got the lining right this time so that I could open and fold it over the edge when I am ready to knit.


Lots of pockets to keep all my knitting paraphernalia organized, I really like the tall pocket in the back that fits patterns and magazines! I added elastic to the top of it so that it won't gape open.


On one side I did three rows of pockets so I won't run out of places to put things! (Plus I just love that pink fabric and wanted to make as many pockets as I had fabric for to showcase it!)


An above view so you can get an idea of how much this will hold. The pockets around the sides are perfect for the smaller skeins of sock yarn, and there is plenty of room in the middle for larger projects.

I am just a little bit impressed with myself for creating this without any pattern or directions, just an idea from seeing a basket six months ago! It inspires me to create even more and it just makes me happy every time I sit down to knit. And maybe the best part of all is that when all is said and done I probably spent about $10 for materials instead of over $100!

6 comments:

Momzoo said...

You should be impressed, I sure am! Would you ever consider making them to sell? If you ever do let me know, I just might be interested. :)

Sarah said...

Very Very Impressive! It is a super cute bag and anything that makes you happy every time you see it is well worth the effort!

Emilie said...

I am picking my jaw up from the floor as I type ( I would say, "speak" but that would be misleading...)!

That's it. Make the pattern and go shop it to my favorite quilt shop. Seriously. It would sell so fast!

It looks amazing!!!

Mary said...

I love it. :) And I'm very impressed. I've been wanting to make something like this too. What did you use inside the walls to make it stiff?

Monique said...

You should be impressed! That's a great looking bag. I am a huge fan of big knitting bags, mine is h-u-g-e, the ladies in my knitting group even make fun of me. I wish I had the skill to sew one up for myself!

Dinee said...

I want one for my cross-stitch projects. That's awesome!